Feb 25, 2011

I emptied my wallet

I emptied my wallet today
and out came a bit of desire
in a caramel pudding bill
A badge popped out, proclaiming my
presence in another continent with
some currency from lands afar along
with an old railway ticket.
Some wanderlust peeked from behind
in petrol bills, that once bore witness,
to long drives in the rain

Some mundane drudgery emerged
of unpaid laundry bills
a precious mail id imprinted on my mind
of conversations eons ago,
of people and places I’ll never find

Some frailties in the form of a medical note
some indulgences of trinkets I adore
some hope in the cards
that perhaps hold future plans
And life seems strewn, in bits of paper
encompassing me, in their frayed edges

3 comments:

Siddhartha Joshi said...

You really can move your readers with your words...however weird it may sound, even I can relate to most of the words.

K Srikrishna said...

Aditi, I must have read this poem at least four or five times on as many occasions - and each time discovered something new. By far one of your best. The most mind-boggling thing for me, is how the ordinary, everyday task of clearing out a wallet/handbag has been brought to life. Talk about word picture - the ability to directly relate to the topic and the lyrical quality of the experience that you have managed to convey is fantastic. Have taken the liberty of sharing with as many folks as possible.

Aditi Das Patnaik said...

Siddhartha, Sri Thanks Both!

I read Rainer's "letters to a young poet" a while back and this particularly struck me "So rescue yourself from these general themes and write about what your everyday life offers you; describe your sorrows and desires, the thoughts that pass through your mind and your belief in some kind of beauty - describe all these with heartfelt, silent, humble sincerity and, when you express yourself, use the Things around you, the images from your dreams, and the objects that you remember."

So here you are! :)
Aditi