Sep 10, 2009

He danced like no one was watching...

...and he got up and started to dance, his body swaying to the rhythm and i can't recall now what music was playing in that sultry June evening. But he danced, like no one was watching, in a restuarant with a soulful live band belting out music, he danced alone, moving to the music, with eyes closed and a faint smile playing on the corners of his lips. It was beautiful, not becase he danced well, but because he danced alone, in a place where no one else cared to.

And I sit here today, thinking of that moment of years ago, and of the look that Prateek gave me long back, urging me to go ahead and cast my inhibitions. I mulled over my dilemma to join him and break his moment of beauty or to have become one with the moment.

I longed to join him, and did not muster the courage to, I am wont to belive that its better this way, the memory still comes back to me now and then, to remind me of an evening full of music and longing. But the truth is that i'll never know what an impulsive moment of breaking into a dance might have felt like.

3 comments:

Kunal said...

i wish you would have found out .... there is always a next time ..

Harman said...

very well written..

Anonymous said...

Im surprised as to how such moments become "which-road-to-take" types in life and change life altogether.

There is no right answer though, maybe there is a participant, maybe there is a better observer. To each one his won- Kartik N