Sep 7, 2008

Little scraps...

The Midnapore cyclone of 1942 coincided with the World War II. The bleak memories Dadu has of that time was his two buses were taken in by the state government. These were ofcourse better days, there was not only a steady state of income but even enough in the bank.

How ever the area prone to cyclones has shaped a lot of Dadu's capabilities of survival. Nineteen years back (in 1923) he was born to a family which could barely provide for its four children. At a point where there was no money to even buy food, Dadu was sent to Belda to study and be in the care of his Uncle. At the age of fourteen Dadu witnessed his first cyclone, which razed to ground the only school in the town and with nothing better to do, Dadu started to drive the only bus his Uncle had. In a few years he saved enough to hire a driver and buy another bus. It was then that the war started and days of economic strain resumed.

Somehow as i sit with Dadu as he reminisces of the times when survival required thought, cyclones, hurricanes and wars seem not only far removed and remote but also something that barely has a possibility of touching my life. It forces me to think of all the things i take for granted...

1 comments:

Navreet said...

Sometimes I get confused, if I am glad to be born in times of fewer struggles or disappointed? And than there are times I wonder if the struggle is still there and I have just chosen an easier path?

# Reading these posts made me realise for the first time how little i spoke to my grandparents while they were there.