Oct 22, 2006

Roadtrip - Yercaud - Coonoor so far...

There is an undefineable longing that the hills propogate. A sense of homecoming without actually belonging here. As we make the long and winding road up to the hills of Coonoor, we cut down Simon & Garfunkel to listen to the quaint sounds of the hills.

Its well past three in the morning as i key this in. The air is crisp and gentle sounds of crickets chirping coming in through the window. Its a comforting feeling just to lie back in bed and listen to them. The wide bay window over looks the valley, spotted by a few lights glowing here and there. Not so long back the sky was lit up by a dazzling display of Diwali fireworks, sparkling yellow, red and green, the smoke from which still lays heavy. Or maybe its just the mist. I wonder if this is a world my children will know, a place where money is blown up to ashes in the name of celebration. [Or maybe i am just growing increasing cynical]

The road to Yercaud from Bangalore is pleasant, wide roads permit good speeds of upto 130 kmph, which gets curtailed to a crawl as we move up into the hills. The air is clean and if i stop by long enough i can actually feel the mist pass me by. Yercaud is a sleepy old place with nothing but serenity prevailing, yet untouched by the hordes of tourists. This is my third trip here, nothing but just to go and sit at the summit of one of the peaks and watch the clouds waft past, a sense of nothingness touches you, almost making you complete. I merge in with the setting sun, enveloped in mist, the darkness overwhelms me, and as if on a cue the lights in the valley come on, to include me in the universal dance of beauty.



More pics are here

5 comments:

Twisted DNA said...

Wow! I didn't even know that such beautiful places exist in India. Nice find. I hope I can visit it too some time.

Is the photo you posted in the post taken by you?

P. Yesuthasen said...

Some of your pics are awesome; as a Conoorian and a bit of a photographs myself, I look forward to more pics...

Chander Dogra said...

your pics are award winning stuff

marcus said...

cool snaps..

Cratus said...

I completely identify with the peace and serenity. You however seemed to be in a rush.. maybe not..i just had a feeling . Have you ever slept letting go of every part in your body and mind, just to believe that this moment is the only truth. Its an amazing experience. Try it