Jul 6, 2006

Rainy day woman...

There is something about the way the rain falls...when you allow it to touch you, of course. When you take the time to lie fully conscious in the water and allow the rain to fall on you. First in gentle drops, over you and all around, creating the little ripples in the water. The rain falling on the shruberry that surrounds the pool, the gentle trickling down of the water and falling in drops, crystal clear with a quality of innocence long forgotten.

The only sounds you hear is of the gentle pitter patter of the falling drops of water, with a powdery quality to it, and slowly gaining pace, slowly resonating and gaining momentum. Suddenly before you realise its pouring down on you. The gentle fall transformed almost to rise in a crescendo of music seldom heard. And suddenly tearing through that is the penetrating boom of a gong somewhere distant yet distinct. As if in response i spur forward into the water, one deep stroke ensures that i am engulfed in the momentary silence of being underwater. Slowly, deliberately i surface, with the water washing over me almost in a whisper.

Its been long since i've heard the rain, its been long since i purged the voices inside my head and let silence fill it up. But silence has an ephemeral quality and its a myth that it can only be found in chosen places, after all"...Everybody must get stoned."

5 comments:

Joy Forever said...

How true that is... these days even I realise that I don't hear the rain half the time. My AC office always feels/sounds the same. Somehow you feel dintanced from nature.
On my recent visit to my hometown I understood this more clearly as I realised that in the last one year or so, I have not seen complete darkness out of doors, have not heard crickets chirping, have not heard frogs croaking, and have not seen fireflies flying around. Simple things that you don't even know you like until you start missing them...

Goli said...

The most fondest memory of rain that I have is of hostel days. We used to have a small ground in the middle of the hostel (quadrangle). During rain we used to play footer bare-footed in the quadrangle. Mud on feet, clothes everywhere, rain, and all the clamor, feels like going back :)

Oneirodynic said...

Standing in the rain is one of the most awesome feelings.I had been to a Bisle trekk recently where we got sloshed in rain for 24 continous hours.And Fight Club came to my mind - "Loosing all hope is freedom".Once i came back from that trekk,small rains in the city didnt matter to me anymore.

Sorry for the offtopic comment!

Chander Dogra said...

I am sure people of surat would have by now forgotten the simple pleasures which monsoon brings :(

Twisted Humor Inc. said...

small pleasures brought to life.. very well written.. poetic just enough to be left as prose..