Mar 30, 2006

Always a woman...

I've been rejoicing being a woman of late. There have been instances enough to make me feel deliciously feminine, blissfully unaware of any derogatory looks/remarks and stuff that made me angry in the past. Or maybe, i just learnt to overlook that which did not gel with me and moved on to only what i choose to take in.

Incidentally while i was still at it, here is what i read on Anyesha's blog. It's got a lot of truth and i have faced my share of being made to feel inferior. The latest one from my mom, something vague about being a burden to her till i get married. This is ofcourse an emotional burden (not economic) she speaks of and i ain't a mom yet, so can't really find myself sympathising with that one. Well like they say, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent, so i will presently like to disregard that one.

However, what i had in mind was something quite different. I was feeling great about being independant and having a life of my own, courtesy women's liberation and all of the latest jazz. Also its great to have a husband/boyfriend and be treated like a princess in the name of chivalry (this is more an input from recently married/hooked friends). Thanks to the patriarchal society of course. For most part i always seem to get my way.

There is ofcourse people raising their eyebrows in the recent lifestyles and of course no dearth of "well-wishers" who want to see you married for "your own" best interests ofcourse. But then what the heck i love being pampered. That one even Anyesha will agree with :).

7 comments:

Abhinav Goyal said...

Hmm. Interesting post. Especially the last para. So, if I may ask, are you getting married?

Chander Dogra said...

Hey I liked the "deliciously feminine" part. The start to your blog was so cool ..that i was looking for some scadalous stuff to form the meat of the sory, but alas it turned into Saas bahu saga.
I amn't able to relate Anyesha's blog myself ..but in the country where boy/girl ratio is at dangerous level the story has to be true... Btw the mothers are like that doesn't matter to which caste,creed,religion country they belong too...they want their kids (boy/girl) to get married and settle down ...
Chal enough of gyan ...else I would be catogerized into "well-wishers' :)

Navreet said...

I read both Anyesha's and your post could not help relating to them...

Along with being one of those liberated women, I also am the younger daughter in a family of three kids..elder sister.. younger brother...

I have an amazing pair of educated parents, they loved us ...all three of us,educated us and made us independent emotionally and financially ...still... some where they wanted a son ...still some where my divorced sister seems to be an "Emotional" Burden on them... still some where until I was married i was not settled in life inspite of having finished my MBA and having a great job...Still some where I get a feeling what my husband wants is more important to them than what I want...

Aditi Das Patnaik said...

Funny Nav, and i thought once i get married my parents will physically wash their hands of me ( or atleast the chance will be too tempting!! :) But then what do i know of parenting :)

golliwog said...

having read this post of your a couple of times now, there a number of conflicting ideas coming through. different perspectives of marriage and the different expectations/ realities of unmarried women like us...

just saying this coz i noticed it. i find myself surrounded by these paradoxical expectations also.

ok, going for class now!

Max Babi said...

hi aditi, this reads like a poem written in a hurry... you should convert it into a proper poem if you feel like...powerful thoughts.

Cheerz!

Max

golliwog said...

camping trip kahan hai? had enough of always a woman....